Float your stresses away in an epsom salt water bath.
I am excited to introduce a new Seattleite column that is dedicated to places that promote honoring your mind, body, soul, and a little self-indulgence too—“Treat Yo Self” will showcase some of our favorite spots that promote self-care. I personally find myself getting caught up being “busy”, stressed, and packing every moment of my waking day with work, activities, people, screens, and social media. In the long run, it’s critically important to take care of yourself with exercise, eating well, and taking care of all aspects of yourself.
In this edition of Treat Yo Self, Urban Float introduces being suspended effortlessly in a super saturated solution of epsom salt and water. The environment is sound controlled that reduces sensory stimulation and suspends the effects of gravity on the central nervous system. The water is skin temperature and some people even fall asleep during their floats. Research has shown that these restful sessions can improve overall function of the brain and central nervous system. For more on the science and benefits of floating, check out 7 Theories of Floating.
LIKES: It was a very relaxing and serene experience. As a beginner, it took several minutes to get used to the fact that I didn’t need to exert any effort to suspend in the water. I preferred having light music on during the entire float, but you can opt out of music or just have music to ease you in and out of the float (first 10 min, last 5 min). Unlike other spas, I loved that you get your own private room, which includes a shower. Lastly, they are open until 11:30pm! For busy people who have very full days, you can schedule a 9 or 10pm appointment and go home to very restful sleep.
DISLIKES: Since the water is “skin temp,” it was a bit chilly for me (note: I love scalding hot showers and naturally tend to run cold). Afterward, I found out you can request a warmer pod.
RECOMMENDATION: Yes. It’s definitely worth trying out. Like most things, it takes a few visits to start feeling the full positive effects, which can include stress and pain reduction, lower blood pressure, and reduced swelling.
Float Facts (everything you won’t be doing):
- You won’t be fighting gravity. The 1200 pounds of epsom salt in the water takes care of that while you lie effortlessly on your back.
- The water and air in the float pods are kept at skin temprature – 93.5 degrees. This means you lose track of where you body ends and the water and air begins.
- Your ears sit just below the water line – combine this with the sound insulated rooms, and float pods, means noise from the outside doesn’t reach you.
- After you settle in to the float pod and hit the light switch, you float in total darkness.
- For the next hour the outside world is gone, and amazing things happen.
- It turns out that when you’re not fighting gravity or constantly taking in information your body has a lot of extra resources at its disposal.
- Your mind is free to mull things over without distraction, your brain pumps out dopamine and endorphins, and your body gets to rest, de-stress, and heal.
Pricing: You can purchase a single float ($89), a multi-float package, or a float membership. For a limited time, Groupon is offering single floats for nearly 50% off here.
Hours: Open Monday through Sunday 7:30am – 11:30pm.
Photos courtesy of Urban Float.
Urban Float | Kirkland & Fremont | (206) 257-4333