Celebrating its 5th birthday last weekend, this year’s Feast Portland was the best one yet. Minus a little rain on Saturday, it was another successful food & wine festival. If you haven’t been, you should mark your calendar for next May when tickets go on sale—it’s not to be missed. A few of the Seattleite staff writers took a road trip down to Portland and enjoyed a weekend of glorious feasting. There’s some amazing talent in Portland and they are making innovative and delicious food.
WHY WE FEAST
Amidst all the eating and drinking, let’s not forget the cause of #WhyWeFeast. Feast Portland donates the festival’s net proceeds to help end childhood hunger in Oregon. During the festival’s first four years, Feast donated over $230,000! They focus on raising awareness for efforts to expand school breakfast participation in Oregon schools:
- Breakfast is important for students’ long-term health and overall success in school.
- The School Breakfast Program is an effective tool for combating child hunger as it eliminates stigma and reduces a barrier to participation.
Feast Portland’s donation amount from the 2016 event to Partners For A Hunger-Free Oregon will be announced by November.
NIGHT MARKET STANDOUT DISHES
- Chef Tony Maws of Craigie on Main: Green chile chicken wings
- Chef Maylin Chavez of Olympic Oyster Bar: Oysters on the half shell with agua chile rojo, pickled cactus leaves, avocado, and micro cila
- Chef Rick Gencarelli from Lardo: Denver lamb ribs barbacoa
- Chef Benjamin Gonzales from Nuestra Cocina: Tacos de cecina adobada
OMG SMOKED STANDOUT DISHES
- Chef Andy Ricker from Pok Pok: Sai oua
- Chef Carlo Lamagna from Clyde Common: Ihawan (Filipino-style BBQ)
- Chef Patrick Fleming from Boke Bowl: Pork cheek over Szechuan eggplant with sweet bean bao
- Chef Stephen Gerike from National Pork Board: Backbone stew with tasso and braised greens
BRUNCH VILLAGE STANDOUT DISHES
- Chef John Gorham from Toro Bravo: Fried chicken biscuit sandwich, country ham & apple butter
- Chef Rachel Yang of Trove (Seattle!): Lardo tamales with pickled shrimp
- Chef Elias Cairo from Olympia Provisions: Monte Cristo breakfast dog
- Chef Matt Christianson from Urban Farmer Restaurant: Grilled french toast
Tickets and events for Feast Portland 2017 will be announced in May. Until next year…