Fall is quickly approaching. Halloween decor and candy is showing up in grocery stores, the weather is cooling down, and the leaves are changing color. As kids are heading back to school, it’s the perfect time for adults to learn something new too.
The Works Seattle, a DIY school for adults, is offering their most diverse class line-up to date. Some highlights include:
- Framed pressed ferns (September 21) – Learn to identify local ferns and get crafty bringing a botanical touch of the Pacific Northwest to your walls.
- Halloween cookie decorating (October 5) – Learn tips and tricks from a professional baker as she walks you through the process of decorating the perfect royal iced cookies from start to finish.
- Fermented hot sauce and salsa (October 15) – Take your condiments game to the next level by learning the art of lacto-fermentation, including two batches to take home.
- Community Event: Pumpkin Carving (October 24) – Offered on a sliding scale starting at zero dollars, BYOP (bring your own pumpkin!) and we’ll provide the carving tools, stencils, and inspiration.
Field Trip Society offers classes and adventures. Here are some upcoming ‘field trips’:
- Fall wild edibles with Langdon Cook (September 26) – On a three-mile hike in the Cascade foothills, learn about identifying fungi and discuss their culinary uses.
- Cider making at Nashi Orchards (October 6) – Take a ferry over to Vashon Island to learn about the orchard, discuss the techniques of making hard cider, and go home with a gallon of fresh-pressed cider.
- Sourdough bread making with Ben’s Breads (October 6) – Head to Southpaw on Capitol Hill to learn about the entire bread-making process from the sourdough starter to kneading to proofing and baking with Ben Campbell (Renée Erickson’s Sea Creatures restaurants and owner of Ben’s Breads).
Paper Delights is a mother-daughter owned stationary store in Wallingford, with a second location in Burien. They offer watercolor and calligraphy classes:
- Modern Calligraphy (October 9 or November 10) – Learn to become proficient with the pen holder and nibs as the instructor, Ellen Sontra, takes you through each letter of the alphabet. All the supplies you need: inks, pen holder, nibs, paper, and sample sheets are included and yours to take home.
- Brushstroke Calligraphy (November 10) – Learn this lettering technique through the use of felt pen, paintbrush, watercolor and more. You will leave the class with all the tips, tricks and supplies necessary to begin a new journey toward developing your own distinct style!