Delicious local brews & bacon-inspired dishes on a sunny Seattle day.
The Bacon and Beer Classic was hosted at Safeco Field this past Saturday, May 2nd. This unique bacon and beer tasting event is held in MLB stadiums nationwide and was a huge success in Seattle with over 3,500 attendees. Seattle’s second annual Bacon and Beer event took over the home of Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field with 20+ local restaurants and 50+ breweries who served up their best selections to go with the bacon theme.
A judging panel was present for both sessions and they worked together to select winners in the food and beer categories. Judges included Ann Peavey, author of popular food and travel blog Seattle Maven, Charles Koh, the founder of EatSeattle, Ethan Stowell, executive chef and owner of the Ethan Stowell Restaurants, Jackie Dodd, beer enthusiast and founder of The Beeroness, Jason Price, author of Seattle food blog TheHungryDogBlog and contributor to Seattle Weekly and Eater Seattle, Michael Dieterle, a BJCP recognized beer judge and homebrewer and Mike Besser, a beer judge at festivals nationwide also known as BrewDad.
The winners are as follows:
- Best Sweet Dish: Rhein House, Bacon Borscht with dill and creme fraiche
- Best Savory Dish: Ivar’s Seafood Restaurant: House-made Maple Bacon, Coho Salmon, Fennel Tomato Chutney, Essential Bakery Sea Salt Cracker
- Best Overall: Boom Noodle, 2 years running for their Bacon Ramen Burger!
- Best Fruit Beer: 2 Towns Ciderhouse, Imperial Hop n Stalk
- Best Slow & Low Beer (malty/roasted): Snoqualmie Brewing, Bunghole Double Brown Ale
- Best Smooth & Easy Beer: SilverCity Brewing, Ziggy Zoggy Summer Lager
- Best Hard & Fast Beer (hop heavy): Northwest Brewing, Hoppy Bitch
- Best Sweet Dish: FROST, Bacon Doughnuts and Cupcakes
- Best Savory: Seattle Salads, Bacon Soup & Salads
- Best Overall: Radiator Whiskey, Bacon Sausage
See you next year!