Hello, September! While we have a bone to pick with summer, (why does it always feel so short?!) we love September’s gorgeous weather as summer slowly slips away. It’s definitely the best month for outdoor dining (and wine-ing!) in Seattle. The weather hits the sweet spot before fall sets in, with just a little nip in the air.
Seattleites love the great outdoors, and great vino always makes it better. Go on—capture the last of the gorgeous summer sunshine with a nice wine, before summer slips away. Here are some cool recommendations—portable fruity wines for your social-distanced picnic, wines paired with your sun sign, and a delicious sangria recipe. One thing we know for sure is that it will definitely be a September to remember!
Chateau Ste. Michelle new single-serve Aluminum Bottles
What’s better than a bottle of wine? A portable bottle of wine. The best part? You can just swig directly from the bottles, no glassware needed! These wines are incredibly food-friendly and go superbly with picnic bites and sunshine. These chic babies are all fruit-driven, and perfect for a park outing. Washington’s founding winery, Chateau Ste. Michelle released four new fruit-driven wines available in elegant single-serve aluminum bottles with a convenient resealable closure.
These four new wines – Bubbly, Something Sweet, Rosé, and Pinot Grigio, will suit the most refined of palates. These are sold in 2-packs for $12.99 in retailers and online. Perfect for picnics, and socially distanced outdoor activities, or when you want to revisit your sips for later. David Rosenthal, White Winemaker said, “These wines deliver the same quality wine with what’s in our traditional bottles, but with more playful, portable packaging. These four new wines are refreshing, easy to enjoy, and quintessential for outdoor summer sipping.”
Here are some great Picnic pairings….
Rosé: Like a bowl of strawberries with just a hint of currant, this rosé is wonderfully fruit-driven with a clean, food-friendly finish. Pairs beautifully with a charcuterie spread!
Pinot Grigio: Crisp and refreshing with bright citrus and mineral characters, this wine can be enjoyed with your picnic lunch or dinner. Pack a gourmet sandwich with your favorite kettle chips.
Bubbly: This wine is the perfect brunch companion. Pair with salty appetizers like fresh-popped popcorn, seasoned crackers or chips; sushi rolls, and sashimi.
Something Sweet: Just sweet enough to be pleasant and fruit-driven. It provides great balance next to all of your favorite cheeses from brie to sharp cheddar, along with a fresh fruit salad.
Radical reds from H3
If I had a crystal ball, I’d definitely predict some wine in my (and your!) near future. Could the stars have something to do with finding your perfect wine? Well, we know about food and wine pairings, but in a super fun twist, H3 wines pairs wines to zodiac signs. H3 Wines has launched as a new brand with a new look. Featuring a beautiful new Pegasus wings label symbolizing the brand’s roots in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA in eastern Washington.
To celebrate their brand new look, H3 is partnering with fashion artist Anna Sutherland and astrologer Lisa Stardust to create one-of-a-kind bottles that help guide your wine journey based on your horoscope. All priced under $15, these wines are fitting for a variety of occasions and available from several retailers including, Drizly, Wine.com, Vivino, Target, Walmart, and others. Learn more at H3wines.com. If a wine could be my spirit animal, it would be the H3 Cabernet Sauvignon. As a Saggitarius, I love all things bold and bright, and this wine with its robust flavor leaves me wanting more.
H3 Winemaker Katie Nelson says, “My inspiration for making these wines comes from working hand-in-hand with our family farmers from the vine to the bottle. We’re out there with them throughout the season, walking the vines and checking in on the fruit quality. These wines represent the Horse Heaven Hills terroir in every way, not only the land but the people as well.” A glass of wine, suited to your horoscope, is great for those chilly alfresco moments. Will your perfect pair be a bold king cab, a spicy Syrah, or a fruity rose? Read on to find your ideal pairing…
Custom Horoscopes from Lisa Stardust x H3 Wines
- Fire signs ( Aries, Leo and Sagittarius), known for their passionate inspiring nature, have big personalities and are robust like the H3 Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Earth signs (Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn), who are low key and no fuss, are the builders of the zodiac and will be drawn to the H3 Red Blend for its straight-forward, beautiful, and silky flavor.
- Air signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius) are the intellects, always communicating their desires while seeking universal truths and justices, which makes them perfect for the fresh, fruity, and light H3 Rosé.
- Water signs (Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces), known for their intuition, emotionality, and sentimentality, will enjoy a glass of H3 Merlot providing rich, deep flavors.
It’s still sangria season before sweater weather sets in. Make the most of Seattle sunshine with this delicious recipe…
H3 Sauv Blanc Sangria:
- 1/2 to 1/3 cup of simple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 8 basil leaves, muddled
- Zest of one orange, in strips
- 1 bottle chilled H3 Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, strained.
- Chilled club soda
- 5 thin orange slices for garnish
- Combine simple syrup, orange zest, and muddled basil. Stir.
- In a pitcher, add H3 Sauvignon Blanc, Grand Marnier, and orange juice. Strain the zest strips and basil before adding the simple syrup to the mixture as well. Stir.
- Pour the sangria into ice-filled glasses and top with club soda. Garnish each drink with an orange slice and extra basil leaf and share it with a friend.