Get your pretzel necklaces ready for the South Sound’s celebration of beer and blues as it makes it way to Downtown Tacoma for its 4th year, packed with a great lineup of blues artists for your musical entertainment! This Saturday, August 13th, 30+ breweries and cideries, alongside six food vendors will provide the goods for a stellar block party experience. Anticipating a sold-out event, organizers at the Broadway Center have limited the capacity for the fest this year to provide the best experience for festival-goers and vendors alike.
Brew Five Three is the perfect occasion to sample the region’s various libations, as recent data from the Brewer’s Association has indicated that Washington state now ranks second in the nation for craft breweries at a whopping 305 and growing! Whether you’ve been keeping up with the craft brewing scene or just starting to get your feet wet, this event is not one to be missed.
Additionally, for folks who have yet to explore the city of Tacoma, Brew Five Three is your ticket to the best introduction you could ask for. A gorgeous view of Mt. Rainier off the waterfront, coupled with the walkability of the downtown’s bar and restaurant scene will have you wondering why you hadn’t visited sooner!
// EVENT DETAILS //
- WHERE: Downtown Tacoma, block party style between 9th & 11th
- WHEN: August 13 / 1:00 – 8:00 pm
- TICKETS: $30
- Military: $25
- Designated Driver Ticket*: $10 (*Ineligible to use tasting tokens or drink alcohol, and does not receive a pint glass)
- Full-price tickets include six tasting tokens and a souvenir pint glass.
- Note: Prices do not include Box Office fees
- 21+ event and valid Washington State approved photo ID is required for entry, no exceptions. Failure to present valid ID will result in denial of entry without refund.
// BREW FIVE THREE CONCERT SCHEDULE //
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. – The Paul Green Blues Band
- 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Rod Cook and Toast
- 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. – Barleywine Revue
- 6:30 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. – Stacy Jones Band
More info about the performers can be found here.
// BREWERIES & CIDERIES //
7 Seas Brewing
American Brewing Co.
Bellevue Brewing Co.
Black Raven Brewing Co.
Cash Brewing Co.
Dick’s Brewing Company
Elysian Brewing Company
Engine House No. 9 Brewing
Fremont Brewing Company
Gig Harbor Brewing
Harmon Brewing Co.
Kulshan Brewing Co.
Lazy Boy Brewing Co.
Mac & Jack’s Brewing
Maritime Pacific Brewing Company
Northwest Brewing Co.
Odd Otter Brewing Company
One Tree Hard Cider
Pacific Brewing and Malting Co.
Seattle Cider Company
Silver City Brewing
Tacoma Brewing Co.
The Ram Brewery
Three Magnets Brewing Co.
Tieton Cider Works
Two Beers Brewing Co.
Washington Gold Cider
Wet Coast Brewing
// GETTING THERE //
Alternative transportation options are highly encouraged as Downtown Tacoma will have limited parking as many festival attendees will be descending upon this rockin’ block party. Even if you’re making the trek down from the Seattle-area, the Broadway Center has these suggestions for when you get into town:
- Walking: Brew Five Three is accessible from Fawcett, a bike boulevard, and Broadway, a gradual hill to and from Stadium District.
- Bike: Free bike valet will be available from 1-8 p.m.
- Transit: Brew Five Three is steps away from Pierce Transit’s Commerce St. Station, serving most bus routes ($2 fare) and a two minute walk from the Theater District Station serving the free Tacoma Link Light Rail connecting to the Tacoma Dome.
- Uber: If your destination is out of reach from a bike or bus ride you can use the code DOTG15 for a free UBER ride up to $20.
// OUR RECOMMENDATIONS //
With so many breweries and cideries to select from, it can be difficult to choose favorites! Grab a group of friends to divide and conquer responsibly.Then be sure to pick up a copy of the available brews upon entry to scan through what’s on tap to map out your plan of attack. If you aren’t sure where to start, here are a few of our go-tos:
Northwest Brewing Co.– The Rock Hard Root Beer Ale with spices blew us away and beats Not Your Father’s Root Beer in our books.
Odd Otter Brewing Company– As their name indicates, this brewery is known for their odd and weird concoctions that are sure to please the palate of the one who will try anything once!
One Tree Hard Cider– Located in Spokane, these guys are putting out innovative flavors that showcase the state’s produce and flavor.
Silver City Brewing– Wholly approachable and unpretentious with their motto of “Beer for one, beer for all”, Silver City has been inviting curious folks to try their drinkable brews for 20 years. Be sure to try their Ziggy Zoggy, a delightful summer lager.
The Broadway Center for the Performing Arts gratefully acknowledges the following for support of the 2016-17 Season: ArtsFund, The Boeing Company, CHI Franciscan Health System, City of Tacoma, The Forest Foundation, The National Endowment for the Arts, The News Tribune, Pierce County Arts Commission, Point Ruston, Wells Fargo, and the Washington State Arts Commission.
Photos by Scott Haydon.